Warangal is a city in the southern state of Telangana. It served as the headquarters of the famous Kakatiya dynasty for centuries. Because of its rich history, Warangal is filled with historical sites dating back centuries and is one of the most celebrated tourist hotspots in India.
PLACES TO VISIT
- Pakhal Lake: The lake, set amidst the luscious forest, is one of the most beautiful sites in the area. The man-made lake was initially built to sustain agriculture in the area. Boating through the lake provides an existential bliss unparalleled by any other.
- Ramappa Temple: The magnificent structure is situated right in the heart of the old Kakatiya dynasty. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, the facade is a masterpiece showcasing Kakatiyan architecture at its best. It is famous for the 9 feet Shivalinga which is enshrined in the temple.
- Warangal Fort: This is one of the biggest landmarks of the area. The 12th-century fort made out of stone portrays the grandeur and architectural dexterity of the Kakatiyan dynasty. The major attraction is the four ornamental gates which are in the official emblem of Telangana state.
BEST FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION
- Hotel Vaishnavi Grand: The hotel has amazing food and service. The price is very reasonable for the quality of food provided here. There are Chinese and Indian cuisines to select from, and both are commendable.
- Manu Restaurant: Set right next to the beach, this place offers one of the best views in the evening.
- Hotel Suprabha: Near to the main city, the 3-star hotel is one of the best luxury hotels available in the area. The service includes spacious rooms, buffet breakfast, and newspapers in the morning etc.
- Hotel Grand Gayathri: The hotel is a walking distance of the railway station, and is one of the best hotels available in the city. The ambience is very good and the service is very responsive and the menu has a lot of options including seafood. The hotel is perfect for you to kick back and relax.
HOW TO REACH
The nearest airport to Warangal is Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, which is almost 160 kilometres away. You may have to resort to other means of transport once you reach there.
There are two railway stations in Warangal; namely Warangal and Kazipet. These two railway stations connect Warangal to major cities and towns in and out of Telangana.
The city has a very good network of roads connecting it to other cities and towns. The roadways consist of national Highways, state highways, connecting to Hyderabad and Bhopalpatnam.
BEST TIME FOR VISIT
In summer, the heat can get to extreme levels, up to 40-degree celsius. The weather is hot and humid throughout summer and is not recommended for visitors. The heat may reduce the sightseeing time available to visit the area.
The winter is the best time to visit Warangal, because of the pleasant weather and the mild climate. You can go on sightseeing without having to worry about the weather.