Valley of Flowers National Park is an Indian National Park situated in the northern state of Uttarakhand. Known for its picturesque views and natural beauty, the Valley of Flowers also houses many endangered animals such as the snow leopard, Musk deer, red fox, blue sheep, etc.
The park spans over an area of 87.5 square kilometres and is in the temperate alpine zone. The high altitude Himalayan valley is a goldmine of biodiversity and luscious greenery. The national park is adjacent to the Nanda Devi National Park and both these national parks constitute the Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve.
Why should we visit Valley of Flowers?
Things to Do in Valley of Flowers
Visit the National Parks
- Visit the National Parks: The two national parks are the main attraction of the area and should be one of the first things to check off your bucket list. The Valley of Flowers National Park is full of breathtaking views of green meadows, valleys and literally kilometres of beautiful flowers and other flora. Nanda Devi National Park is another national park in the area famous for its biodiversity. Situated along the Nanda Devi Peak, The national park gives an experience of the wilderness in the temperate region like none other and is filled with an exquisite view of nature.
- Hemkund Sahib: The Gurudwara Hemkunt Sahib, also known as Hemkund Sahib, is a shrine along the foothills of the Himalayas. The shrine is closed during the winter and can be reached only after some amount of trekking. The views of Hemkund Lake and the Himalayan ranges are exquisite and amazing.
- Bheem Pul: The bridge is an amazing work of nature. Located over the Saraswati River, the Bheem Pul is a natural stone bridge located in the mountains, made with two adjacent stone structures. The bridge and its location is amazing for photoshoots and provides some of the best views in the area.
- Himalayan Abode: A luxury homestay, Himalayan Abode is one of the best in the area, with all necessary amenities, and well-furnished rooms. All rooms have a great view of the Alakananda and the Himalayan ranges, along with the greenery. The staff are very responsive and hospitable and the rooms are well-kept.
- Sri Nanda Lokpal Palace: Located near the Hemkund Sahib and the Valley of Flowers National Park, the hotel is conveniently located and caters to our every need. There are different types of rooms to choose from, and the ambience and the design are very nice. The hotel also houses a restaurant serving local, Chinese, Indian and Continental dishes. There are trekking guides you can hire to reach famous spots in the area.
HOW TO REACH VALLEY OF FLOWERS
The nearest airport is the Jolly Grant airport, located in Dehradun and is connected to Govindghat. Major cities of the country are well connected to the airport. The nearest international airport is in New Delhi and is almost 500 kilometres away. From Govindghat, you may have to rely on trekking to reach the destination as there no motorable roads from there.
The nearest railway station is in Rishikesh and can be reached from Govindghat. Rishikesh railway station runs frequent services to different parts of the country and is a part of the northern railways.
Which is the best time to visit Valley of Flowers?
BEST TIME TO VISIT VALLEY OF FLOWERS
The best time to visit the Valley of Flowers is in July-September. This is the time of the year with maximum flower count and the valley just lights up in different colours. The most preferred time is the first 15 days of August when the crowd is less and beauty is at its best. Expect small levels of rain while trekking during the season, and the famous spots will not be overcrowded and is perfect for sightseeing and enjoying the scenic beauty.