Tirupati, also known as the spiritual capital of Andhra Pradesh, is a city that lies at the foot of the Eastern Ghats. The city is famous for its spiritual significance and has numerous temples that are architectural marvels throughout its length. The city, in itself, is modern in parts and has amazing infrastructural developments, and on the other side, it offers a sacred pilgrimage for devotees to find spiritual enlightenment.
PLACES TO VISIT
- Tirumala: One of the landmark tourist destinations of the city, Tirumala is a small hill town. The town is famous for its temples; mainly the Tirumala Venkateswara Temple, an amazing facade and one of the most celebrated temples in India. The town is rich in its culture and art forms, and more importantly, the scenic beauty of mother nature at its best.
- Chittoor: If you are an explorer, Chittoor is perfect for you. The town is filled with beautiful sceneries, and is also known as “Mango City”. This city is a recommended retreat from chaotic city life. The place is filled with amazing viewpoints and natural spots like waterfalls.
- Venkateswara Zoological Park: One of the most innovative zoos in India, the zoological park houses a wide variety of flora and fauna within its boundaries. The main attractions include peafowls, white tigers and parakeets.
BEST FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION
- Zodiac Restaurant: This is one of the best restaurants in Tirupati. The restaurant offers Indian cuisine; both north and south. The breakfast menu is large and has mouth-watering flavours. The price is reasonable and the service and the ambience is commendable.
- Sri Lakshmi Narayana Bhavan: The restaurant is highly rated for its food and service. Serving Indian food, the restaurant is a popular choice for tourists. The food feels like home-cooked food. If you are in a hurry, you could always order the packed meal option, to eat later in your journey. The service provided is very responsive.
- Durga Residency: Affordable, yet classy. The hotel is just a walkable distance from the railway and bus station. The service offered here is amazing, and the amenities include free wifi, room service, airport transportation. The rooms have so much space and well maintained.
- Marasa Sarovar Hotel: A deluxe hotel, with ultra-modern amenities, the Marasa Sarovar Hotel, is conveniently located near the Tirumala Hills, for visitors to relax en route to the temple of Lord Vishnu. The service is commendable and responsive. The amenities include restaurants and a bar, health club, swimming pool, and a business centre. The rooms offer a spectacular view of the Tirumala Hills.
HOW TO REACH
Sri Venkateswara Airport which is just 15 kilometres from the city, has regular flights to all major cities of the country. Chennai International Airport is 180 km away from the city.
There are multiple railway stations throughout Tirupati. The stations are well placed to be availed easily from all over the city. There are regular services to all major parts of the country and is a popular mode of transport for local visitors.
Tirupati is well between Karnataka and Tamilnadu. Hence, there are many direct bus services to major cities like Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Mangalore.
BEST TIME FOR VISIT
Summer is hot and humid in Tirupati, with a temperature rising above 40 degrees at times. November-February offers a pleasant interval between monsoon and summer and is considered ideal for sightseeing. The temperature is not high, or you will not have to cancel plans due to heavy rains.