Rishikesh is a city in the northern state of Uttarakhand. The city is located along the foothills of the Himalayas and is a wonderful tourist destination. The city is considered one of the holiest places for the Hindus and is a pilgrimage site. The place is known for its yoga, meditation and spirituality, and is a national heritage. Due to the religious significance of the place, non-vegetarian food and alcohol are prohibited here.
PLACES TO VISIT IN RISHIKESH
Why is Rishikesh famous?
- Lakshman Jhula: A popular hanging bridge over the River Ganges, the Lakshman Jhula connects two villages, Tapovan and Jonk. The 450 feet long bridge at a height of 70 feet is a popular tourist destination and is believed to be the site where Lord Lakshman crossed the River Ganges.
- Triveni Ghat: Triveni Ghat is the confluence of three religiously important rivers- Ganga, Saraswati and Yamuna. The Triveni Ghat is one of the most popular and biggest ghats in the country. The place is believed to be the cremation ground of Lord Krishna and is a holy place for Hindus. Devotees come here for holy dips and make an offering by pouring milk and feeding the fishes.
The Beatles Ashram
- The Beatles Ashram: Originally known as the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Ashram, the Ashram shot into fame after the world-renowned Beatles band visited it to learn about transcendental meditation. Located in the Rajaji National Park, the ashram is part of an eco-tourism and provides a tranquil environment overlooking the river Ganges.
BEST FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION IN RISHIKESH
- Swiss Cottage and Spa by Salvus: The Swiss Cottage and Spa by Salvus is a deluxe hotel in Rishikesh and is just a 5-minute walk away from the town. Situated in the luscious greeneries, the hotel is perfect for a calming getaway with our loved ones. There are many amenities and facilities such as yoga classes, hiking, rafting available in the area.
- Hotel Ishan: Situated about 1.5 km from the Patanjali International Yoga Foundation, Hotel Ishan- A Riverside Retreat by Salvus is close to the city and offers an excellent view of the holy city and its beauty. The entire ambience of the hotel resonates with that of the city, soothing and calm. The facilities offered here are top-notch and the staff are very hospitable.
- Chotiwala Restaurant: Offering their services for over half a century, the Chotiwala Restaurant is one of the top picks of tourists while in Rishikesh. The restaurant serves the local cuisine cooked to perfection. The North Indian Thalis and the Garhwali dishes are a must-try. The service is fast and responsive and the restaurant is budget-friendly.
- Shri Balaji Restaurant: A south Indian restaurant in the heart of a North Indian city, Shri Balaji has lots to offer for visitors. The South Indian food served here is one of the popular picks of tourists as well as the locals. The Butter Paneer Dosa and the Special Masala Dosa are amazing.
HOW TO REACH RISHIKESH
The nearest airport to the city of Rishikesh is at Dehradun. The Jolly Grant Airport is 35 km away from the city centre and is connected to major Indian cities like Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai, Trivandrum, etc. The nearest international airport is in New Delhi, which is one of the busiest airports in the country and is connected to any international destination.
The nearest railway station is at Haridwar, about 25 km away. Haridwar is part of the Northern railways and has regular services and trains that connect major cities and towns.
What is the best time to visit Rishikesh?
BEST TIME FOR VISIT RISHIKESH
February-May is the preferred time to visit Rishikesh. But, the city can be visited any time of the year and not lose its magnificence. The tourist’s sites offer different experiences in different seasons, like rafting which is perfect in the chilling season of winter, and the natural views just get better in the spring and at the onset of summer.