Pondichery, officially known as Puducherry, is one of the Union Territories in India. It shares borders with Tamilnadu, and with that, most of the visible culture too. Puducherry is one of the places where you can find remnants of colonialism much more prominent than the rest of the country. There are numerous institutions, buildings, structures that date back to the French colonial period of the city. Being a French settlement before 1954, the place can give an out-of-the-country experience for visitors.
Best Place to Visit in Puducherry
- Paradise Beach: This is one of the most visited places in the area, and can get extremely crowded on weekends. The pristine beach with its blue waters, and the soft golden stand provides a sense of tranquillity. This is the perfect place to rent a fishing rod and try fishing. There are ferry rides that take you to the beach, which allows you to visit the other attractions of the area.
- Sri Aurobindo Ashram: Founded by Sri Aurobindo in 1926, the Ashram also holds the mausoleum of Sri Aurobindo. If your visit is to find your spirituality and finding your inner self, this is the place you are looking for. There are many activities such as yoga, strength training, etc.
What are the top sightseeing places in Pondicherry?
- Auroville: Also known as the “City of Dawn”, Auroville is a futuristic township, aiming to unite humans from all kinds of differences rising from caste, creed, religion, ethnicity, etc. Matrimandir, a golden globe structure at the heart of Auroville is a meditation centre. The structure holds symbolic significance and aims to promote unity among humans.
Immaculate Conception Cathedral :
The Immaculate Conception Cathedral is one in every of the foremost process landmarks of Puducherry. The design of the Cathedral will mesmerize any looker-on, the tranquil location canbuild anyone needto return back and also the exciting interiors can compel you to not get out.
The prime attraction of the church is that the tower, with a large imposing bell hanging from its support and also the numerous statues and altars that area unit superbly engineered and maintained. there’sadditionally associate mall before of the church wherever the guestswill participate in several ceremonies organized by the church.
The feast within the Church is widely known on eighth December each year that attracts an oversized variety of devotees throughout now. The glorious structure is brilliantly lit within the evening that makes the church look terribly stunning.
Best food and Accomodation in Puducherry
- Grand Hotel D’ Europe: Just like the name, the food served is that of French standards, and have an amazing menu of both French and Indian dishes. The service is commendable, and the price is reasonable. This restaurant will complete the “French experience” you’ve been looking for in Puducherry.
- Crepe in Touch: If you love baked goods, you will love this cafe. The ambience, the food, is almost out of the world. The Crepes are the most celebrated delicacy here.
- The Promenade: One of the best luxury hotels in Pondicherry. With an oceanfront property and an amazing view of the sea, this is one of the most beautiful spots to relax. There are many activities offered here while checked in like spas, pools, and whatnot.
- Le Dupleix: The hotel complements the rich history of Pondicherry. Its architecture is a fusion of the rich heritage of the French settlement and the Indian culture. There are suites and rooms available for visitors, with provisions for fine dining. They have an excellent portfolio of wines. The renovated hotel is one of the best getaways while in Puducherry.
How to Reach Puducherry
Pondicherry Airport has many domestic flights connecting to cities like Hyderabad and Bengaluru. But if you are an international traveller, you could always arrive at the Chennai Airport and then take other means of transport to reach the area.
Puducherry has trains to all major cities in India. This includes the Golden quadrilateral of Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi, and Kolkota. There are regular train services that connect to these cities.
If you are travelling by car, you could always take the East Coast Road from Chennai to reach Puducherry. Numerous bus services are running the routes.
How far is Pondicherry from Chennai?- 163 Kms
Interesting facts about Chennai – Pondicherry Train Routes
- There are 4 weekly trains runs from Chennai to Pondicherry.
- The first train from Chennai to Pondicherry is at 08:45
- The last train from Chennai to Pondicherry is at 18:10
- The fastest train between Chennai to Pondicherry is New Delhi -Puducherry Express
How can I go to Villupuram from Pondicherry?
The best way to get from Puducherry to Villupuram by Bus which takes 25 to 30 minutes.
Best Time for Visit to Puducherry
Being close to the Southern part of India, summer can be avoided while visiting. It is ideal to visit the place from October to February amidst the winter season. The winter here is mild, and will not stop you from sightseeing.
What are the things to do in Pondicherry?
- Heritage Walk
- Go on a City Tour -Explore famous French Colony & Architecture
- Experience Yoga
- Scuba Diving