Kalimpong is a beautiful town in the Indian state of West Bengal. This place is a famous educational centre in the state. Kalimpong also functions as the gateway between Tibet and India. The town is situated on the banks overlooking the Teesta River and is a popular nature tourism spot.
PLACES TO VISIT IN KALIMPONG
Why is Kalimpong famous?
Durpin Dara Hill
- Durpin Dara Hill: The Durpin Dara Hill is a culmination of natural beauty and the culture of the area. The hill offers an exquisite view of the Kalimpong town. Surrounded by the snow-capped Himalayan ranges and the magnificent Teesta river and its luscious green valleys, Durpin Dara Hill is a traveller’s paradise. It also houses a golf course for enthusiasts and Zang Dhok Plri Monastery, which hosts one of the most famous botanical gardens in the area.
- Cactus Nursery: Kalimpong, being famous for its large number of exotic flower nurseries also houses a cactus nursery, containing a wide variety of exotic cactuses. The nursery is a major hub for exports and a busy tourist spot with travellers coming in to see the peculiar flora type.
- Morgan House: A classic example of the colonial architecture prevalent in the pre-Independent times, the Morgan House is a landmark of the area, and is infamous for legends of haunted stories surrounding the mansion. The house itself is a perfect blend of nature and provides a calming, soothing view of the town, the sunsets, and hillocks. The mansion is located in a sixteen-acre estate atop the Durpindara Mountain.
BEST FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION IN KALIMPONG
- Gompus Bar and Restaurant: Located in a narrow lane in the heart of Kalimpong, the GOmpus Bar & Restaurant is one of the popular choice of tourists as well as locals. With a rich history of service for almost a century, the hotel features Chinese, Tibetian and Indian dishes. The pork/chicken momos served here are exceptional.
- Art Cafe: The ambience, the view, and as the name suggest, the art is famous just as much as the food served at Art Cafe. Adorned with a roof-covered terrace, the restaurant provides an amazing view of the mountain range in the surroundings, and can even view the amazing sunset over Tiger Hill. The popular choices of dish are barbecue chicken wings, chicken drums, chicken burgers, etc.
- MAYFAIR Himalayan Spa Resort: The exotic resort provides deluxe amenities for its customer. The 5-star restaurant has features like a restaurant, fitness centre, a bar, and a garden. There is a 24- hour front desk for help and queries and room service. The rooms are very spacious, and classy. The entire ambience is very nice, and perfect for a retreat.
- Sinclairs Retreat: The classy stay in the heart of Kalimpong town is one of the most popular choices of tourists seeking a calm getaway from the hectic city life. The hotel provides amenities such as a swimming pool, a fitness centre and spa and wellness centre, a big courtyard for leisurely walks, etc. The staffs are very friendly and the service is extraordinary.
HOW TO REACH KALIMPONG
Bagdogra Airport is the major airport in and near Kalimpong. The airport is 60 kilometres away from the city centre. The airport is well connected to all major cities in the country and some international destinations.
The Darjeeling Railway station is administered by the DHR. The nearest railway station is about 72 km away in New Jalpaiguri which connects to major cities like Kolkota and Delhi.
What is the best time to visit Kalimpong?
BEST TIME TO VISIT KALIMPONG
Kalimpong is a year-round tourist destination. But, if you want to experience the natural beauty of Kalimpong, March to May and September to December can be considered. The weather is very bright and brilliant this time of the year and is considered a perfect honeymoon spot for newlyweds.