Haridwar is a holy city in the northern state of Uttarakhand. Located in the banks of the holy River Ganges and along the base of the majestic Shivalik ranges, Haridwar is a pilgrim for Hindus and is the place of worship of many deities. Haridwar hosts the Kumbh Mela, the largest gathering of mankind which occurs every 12 years. Millions of devotees arrive in Haridwar to pay respects and pray for their loved ones each year.
PLACES TO VISIT IN HARIDWAR
Why is Haridwar famous?
Hari Ki Pauri
- Hari Ki Pauri: The literal meaning of the name is “footsteps of the Lord”. The spot on the river Ganges holds religious significance and devotees come here early in the morning for a holy dip during the Ganga Aarti. The nights are a beautiful sight as the River gets fulfilled with countless lighted Diyas floating around.
- Shanti Kunj: This is the perfect place if you are looking for spirituality, this is the place to go to. The ashram follows the ancient culture of the Rishis and also offers camps for your spiritual and moral upliftment. The Yagya Shala, Gayathri Mata Temple, Akhand Deep, Devatma Himalaya Temple, are just some of the amazing architectures, and religiously significant places near Shanti Kunj.
Mansa Devi Temple
- Mansa Devi Temple: Known as Bilwa Tirth among the locals, the Mansa Devi Temple is situated on the Shivalik ranges at the top of Biswas Parvat. To reach the temple, there is a 3 km trail for trekking, or can be reached by a cable car. The temple is a site of pilgrimage and is one of the Panch Tirth (five holy baths) within Haridwar.
BEST FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION IN HARIDWAR
- Chotiwala Restaurant: The restaurant is one of the best in the area. There are a lot of doppelgangers for this restaurant, so make sure you reached the right one. The food served here is amazing and features the local cuisine. The staff is very responsive and the service is very fast. The food served here is delicious.
- Hotel Raghuwanshi Gujarati Bhojnalay: The Gujarati restaurant serves mouth-watering vegetarian food and serves several Gujarati delicacies. The place is a gold mine for vegetarians. The ambience is very nice and is perfect for families.
- Radisson Blu Hotel: A deluxe 5-star restaurant situated in the heart of the BHEL Township, This is one of the best luxurious hotels available in the area. The hotel features relatively modern and comfortable rooms, with great room service and also has options for spa treatment and fitness centres. The rooms are equipped with free Wi-fi and a flatscreen TV.
- Hotel Golden: Located within 2 kilometres of the famous Mansa Devi Temple and Hari ki Pauri, the Hotel Golden is a convenient location for visitors. The hotel also offers an amazing restaurant with mouth-watering food of the local and international cuisines. There are also private parking facilities for guests. The hotel rooms are clean, classy and the staff are very hospitable.
HOW TO REACH HARIDWAR
Haridwar is one of the most religiously significant places in India and sees millions of footfall every year. Hence, the town is well connected and has a very good infrastructure for transportation. The nearest airport is in Dehradun, almost 35 km away from the city centre. The Jolly Grant Airport runs regular services to major cities around the country. The nearest international airport is in New Delhi, 220 kilometres away.
The Haridwar railway station a part of the northern railways, and is extensively connected to other parts of the country. There are also special trains from other places at the time of Kumbh Mela.
Which month is best to visit Haridwar?
BEST TIME TO VISIT HARIDWAR
The town experiences a mild climate around the year. The preferred time to visit Haridwar is between October and March. The summers from April-June can be avoided as the temperature may reach 40 degrees at the peak, and can interfere with your sightseeing and outdoor activities. If you are a devotee, then summertime holds many festivals and religious activities such as the Kumbh Mela, Ramanavami, Kanwar Mela, etc. But, these festivals will get crowded, and take away your chance for relishing the beauty of the majestic Ganges and the entire town that was built around it.