Guwahati is the largest city in the Eastern state of Assam and north-eastern India. The city is located on the banks of the river Brahmaputra and is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country. The city is famous for its abundance of religiously significant temples and the presence of much-endangered flora and fauna.
PLACES TO VISIT IN GUWAHATI
What is Guwahati famous for?
- Umananda Temple: The temple, located on the banks of the Brahmaputra, is one of the most famous tourist destinations in Guwahati. The temple is devoted to Lord Shiva. The entire ambience is calming, soothing, and even enlightening. The temple is blended with nature, giving positive vibes and aura throughout the structure. The temple was originally built in 1694.
Assam State Museum
- Assam State Museum: The museum is also known as the Assam Rajyik State Museum. Located in the city, the museum houses artefacts, arts, sculptures and handicrafts, preserving the rich culture, and history of the northeastern state. It also gives us a glimpse of the modern history leading to the formation of the state. The museum dates back to 1940.
- Umananda Island: The island is the smallest river island in the world. Situated in the Brahmaputra river, the island is preserved in its pristine state, where man and the flora and fauna co-habit peacefully. Many local myths and stories are surrounding the island. The island houses Golden langurs.
BEST FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION
- Cafe Hendrix: One of the best restaurants in the city, Cafe Hendrix both North Indian and continental dishes. The ambience stands out as much as the food. There is live music and the entire design of the restaurant is very relaxing and calm. There are live performances by bands on weekends.
- The Morung: The restaurant features mouth-watering north Indian as wells as Chinese dishes. The Naga food served here is amazing and is one of the most popular choices of visitors. The restaurant is budget-friendly and has amazing customer service.
- Vivanta by Taj: Located in the heart of Guwahati, Vivanta is one of the most beautiful stays in the area. The place itself is a landmark. The service, the spacious rooms, the breathtaking view, the countless amenities, the ambience; everything is just perfect in this hotel. The 5-star hotel is one of the best places to relax.
- Novotel Guwahati: A deluxe hotel with 5-star ratings, Novotel provides one of the best hospitality. The hotel has several amenities that can be availed such as wellness options like a spa, a fitness centre, a rooftop infinity swimming pool along with exemplary dining, and much more. The entire design is classy and elegant.
How can I reach Guwahati?
HOW TO REACH GUWAHATI
Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport, also known as Guwahati International Airport, is the major airport in and near Guwahati. The airport is just 20 kilometres away from the city centre. The airport is well connected to all major cities in the country and some international destinations like Bangkok and Paro.
Guwahati Junction railway station is one f the major railway stations in the northeastern railways and has regular services. The Kamakhya Junction also houses one of the biggest railway stations in the city.
BEST TIME TO VISIT GUWAHATI
Guwahati has a different vibe at different times of the year and can be visited any time of the year. But, the recommended time for visiting Guwahati is October-March. This period covers the onset of winter to the onset of summer. The temperature may reach 5-degree Celsius and this amplifies every natural beauty present in the city.