Gokarna is a temple town in the state of Karnataka and is one of the most visited pilgrimage sites in India. It is one of the seven Hindu pilgrimage centres. The town has been maintained in its pristine nature, and for this reason, it has been attracting westerners for over a decade. The town, in all its essence, is calming in nature and is known for its amazing beaches.
PLACES TO VISIT
- Om Beach: The beach carries spiritual significance. It is in the shape of “ohm”, and is considered special among devotees. The beach has an amazing view of the sunrise and the sunset, and the sky changing the colour during the transition is nothing less than divine.
- Mahabaleshwara Temple: The temple is one of the biggest tourist attractions in the area. The 4th-century temple is a classic example of amazing Dravidian architecture. This is one of the best pilgrimage sites if you are looking for a spiritual retreat.
- Paradise Beach: The beach is also known as Full Moon Beach. It is characterised by hard rocks and white sand covering the length of the beach. The beach is a hotspot for foreign and local tourists alike.
BEST FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION
- Sanskruthi Resort: One of the best stays in the area, the resort is an amazing place for a retreat. The rooms are luxurious and spacious. The breakfast provided here is mouth-watering, and there are facilities for sunbathing near the pool.
- Stone Wood Nature Resort: The resort is situated near a beach, and has an amazing view of the sea. The ambience is minimal, yet captivating. The service is commendable and there are a lot of amenities that can be availed.
- Namaste Cafe: The cafe is located near Om Beach. The cafe has a large spacious dining area, with breathtaking views of the ocean. The food is amazing there with a reasonable price. The Indian food served here has much resemblance to the local cuisine.
- Mantra Cafe: The vibe, the ambience and the food set it apart from other cafes in the area. The cafe overlooks the Kudle beach, which is another tourist hotspot of the area.
HOW TO REACH
The nearest airport to Gokarna is in Goa, or you can choose Bangalore. From there, you have to switch to other means of transport to reach Gokarna.
Gokarna can be reached by the Konkan Railway which is on the Mumbai-Mangalore route. The railway station is well-connected to other towns and has regular services.
The city has fairly good infrastructure for transport and you can use roadways to reach the area. There are many bus services, both private and government through the area, which is very apt for sightseleinlg.
BEST TIME FOR VISIT
In summer, the heat can get to extreme levels, up to 40-degree celsius. The weather is hot and humid throughout summer and is not recommended for visitors. The heat may reduce the sightseeing time available to visit the area.
The winter is the best time to visit Gokarna, because of the pleasant weather and the mild climate. You can go on sightseeing without having to worry about the weather.