Gangtok is the capital city of the hilly northern Indian state Sikkim. Gangtok is at the heart of the tourism economy in Sikkim. Situated in the Eastern Himalayan range, the city offers a year-round mild temperature and amazing views throughout its length. The entire city is a beautiful destination in itself, one in contrast to the general norms for a city. There are many iconic spots in Gangtok sought out by tourists, both local and foreign.
PLACES TO VISIT IN GANGTOK
Why is Gangtok famous?
- Tsomgo Lake: The lake is one of the most magnificent places to visit while in Sikkim. Situated at a height of 12130 feet, the lake seems heavenly in the springtime blending perfectly with nature. The blue waters and the Himalayan peaks reflecting its surface gives out a heavenly aura to the entire place. There is a small Shiva temple and prayer wheels on the lakeshore and is considered sacred among the locals.
Nathu La Pass
- Nathu La Pass: The pass connect Sikkim with the Tibet Autonomous Region. Originally a part of the silk route, the Nathu La Pass is an important landmark and geographical location. The ride is amazing and provides a breathtaking view of the Himalayan ranges. The pass also houses several local shops with many exquisite eateries and trekking sites.
- Tashi Viewpoint: The place offers one of the best sunrise and sunsets, along with a great view of the Himalayan mountain range. This place is sure to leave you with many memories ad some amazing photos of the area. The viewpoint is near to popular sites like Ganesh Tok and Bakthang.
BEST FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION IN GANGTOK
- Taste of Tibet: The restaurant is famous for its local cuisine. One of the popular choices of the visitors, the restaurant offers mouth-watering food at a reasonable price. The popular choice of the visitors is Chupka, momos and other Tibetian dishes. The ambience is commendable and blends with the overall beauty of the city.
- Roll House: One of the best budget-friendly restaurants in the area, Roll House is famous for its amazing rolls. You can experience the flavours and the delicacies of Sikkim in a single place. The paneer, chicken and mutton dishes, are some of the most popular dishes of the kitchenette.
- Amba Regency: Ann exotic stay in Gangtok, the Amba Regency provides one of the best vegetarian restaurants in Gangtok. The rooms are well-decored and spacious. Many amenities can be availed and the deluxe rooms offer a spectacular view of the surroundings.
- The Golden Crest: The hotel offers an on-site restaurant and free private parking to its customers. The rooms are well-kept and spacious and equipped with a flat-screen TV. Very friendly and hospital staffs are here.
HOW TO REACH GANGTOK
Bagdogra Airport is the major airport in and near Gangtok. The airport is 120 kilometres away from the city centre. The airport is well connected to all major cities in the country and some international destinations.
The Darjeeling Railway station is administered by the DHR. The nearest railway station is about 62 km away in New Jalpaiguri which connects to major cities like Kolkota and Delhi.
Which is the best time to visit Gangtok?
BEST TIME FOR VISIT GANGTOK
The best time to visit Gangtok is in the middle of March and May. Visitors can also consider October – December. March-May is the springtime in Sikkim and offers unparalleled natural beauty throughout the city. The best time to visit the places in Sikkim is between March and May or October and Mid December. If you want to lose yourself in the blooming natural beauty in Gangtok. The best season to visit is spring, from March to May. Autumn or October to December is another option if you want to capture the picturesque view of the Himalayan range, autumn brings a clear view there.