Gangotri is a small town of religious significance in the northern state of Uttarakhand. This place is one of the biggest pilgrimage sites of Hindus. The town is home to the origin of the river Ganges, one of the longest rivers in India. The town and the river are considered one of the holiest places by devout Hindus and see large footfalls every year.
PLACES TO VISIT IN GANGOTRI
Why is Gangotri famous?
- Bhojbasa: Bhojbasa is a spot that is famous for its natural beauty and the breathtaking view of the majestic Himalayas it offers. It has rugged terrains and can be reached by trekking almost 14k from Gangotri. The trek itself is a wonderful experience as it passes through the banks of the Bhagirathi river.
- Gangotri Temple: This temple is situated at an altitude of 3100 metres. This temple is a part of the four Chota Char Dham Yatra pilgrimage sites and is devoted to the Goddess Ganga, the personification of the river Ganges. The temple is amidst a wonderful deodar forest and the Great Himalayas. The ambience is quite tranquil and calm.
- Gangnani: A small town that is a perfect place to start your spiritual journey. The town offers peace of mind and is calm and soothing. The Gangnani town is filled with stunning views from the mountains and the alpine forests. The town is perfect for meditation and retreats from the hectic life in the cities.
FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION
- Cafe Himalayas: A bistro-style restaurant in Gangotri, Cafe Himalaya is famous for its ambience and food. Designed in a garden atmosphere, the restaurant is eco-friendly and provides a wholesome experience for the customers. The restaurant features food from the local cuisine as well as international cuisines.
- The Saket: The Saket is one of the popular choices of tourists, both local and foreign. Featuring both North Indian and South Indian cuisine, the meals provided are well cooked and budget-friendly. The service is very fast and responsive. This place is vegetarian-friendly too.
- Hotel Manisha: One of the best hotels in here, the Hotel Manisha is a frontrunner in all aspects of hospitality. The hotel has great room service and is equipped with a restaurant serving mouthwatering food and a terrace with an amazing view. The hotel also has family rooms.
- Vamoose Shivalinga Resort: Located in the heart of Gangotri, the Vamoose Shivalinga Resort offers an amazing customer experience. The hotel has free private parking and serves a delicious breakfast. There are amenities like a garden and a dining area. The hotel is conveniently located for tourists and travellers.
HOW TO REACH GANGOTRI
Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun is the nearest airport. The domestic airport is about 250km away from the centre of the town. There are taxis and chopper services that connect the two towns.
Rishikesh railway station is about 234km from here along the NH58 and is an important hub of Northern Railways. The railway station has regular services connecting it to major cities across the country.
What is the best time to visit Gangotri?
BEST TIME TO VISIT GANGOTRI
The ideal time to visit Gangotri is from April-June. This place is colder than most parts of India for the entirety of the year. Summers are pleasant and not prone to much heat in here and are ideal for paying homage and offerings to the Gangotri shrine. Winters may be too cold for most visitors, and the views may get a little misty. There may be snowfalls in winter that can interfere with your plans and hence are not recommended to visit here.
Also Check: Almora: The Cultural Capital of Kumaon