Fatehpur Sikri is a historic town in the Agra district in the Northern State of Uttar Pradesh. The city was built by the emperor Akbar the Great, one of the most famous Mughal Emperor, in the late 1500s. The town served as the capital of the Mughal empire for decades and was later abandoned in 1610. The town is famous for its architecture and the layout and its historic significance and attracts numerous visitors every year.
PLACES TO VISIT IN FATEHPUR SIKRI
What is special about Fatehpur Sikri?
- Buland Darwaza: The literal translation of its name is the aptest description one can give to this amazing facade. Buland Darwaza, meaning “the magnificent gate”, is a 54-metre tall gateway created by Akbar to commemorate his victory in Gujarat. The architecture is a classic example of the Mughal culture, and the gateway is created in red sandstone and carved marble and granite inlays.
Dargah of Sheikh Salim Chishti
The shrine of Sheikh Salim Chishti is made of white marble. Its construction was completed in 1581. Devotees from all over the country and abroad come here to visit the mazar.
- Diwan-i-Khas: Diwan-i-Khas was originally built as a hall for private audiences. The central tower of the structure, also known as the Lotus throne is carved exquisitely and with intricate design flawlessly to the minute details. The hall was originally meant for religious leaders and other special guests of the emperor.
- Jodhabai Palace: Also known Marian-uz-Zamani Palace, Jodhabai Palace was, once the living quarters of the Mughan Queen Jodhabai. The architecture of the building is unique as it features a perfect blend of the Mughal and Hindu Rajputana styles of architecture. This is a dedication for Queen Jodabhai who belonged to the Rajput clans of Amer.
HOW TO BOOK FATEHPUR SIKRI MONUMENTS TICKET ONLINE
FATEHPUR SIKRI MONUMENTS ENTRY FEES & TIMING
Fatehpur Sikri Ticket Booking
Entry Fee (Indian) INR 35
Entry Fee (SAARC and BIMSTEC) INR 35
Entry Fee (Foreigner ) INR 550
Entry Below (Children Below Age 15) Free
BEST FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION
- Ganapati Resort: The ambience of the restaurant is nice. It has a garden setting and both outdoor and indoor arrangements for eating. Serving veg and non-veg foods, the restaurant serves amazing mouth-watering delicacies of the local cuisine. The menu is not extravagant but the dishes are cooked nicely. The service is fast and responsive.
- Sher-E-Punjab Hotel: The restaurant sets an outdoor eating experience and serves relatively good food. The ambience is quite nice and the staff is hospitable. The food served here features the local delicacies mostly.
- Hotel Goverdhan Tourist Complex: Situated just 200 metres from the historic Jodhabai Palace, the hotel is conveniently located for a traveller visiting Fatehpur Sikri. The hotel is budget-friendly and the rooms are very hygienic and well-preserved. There is free-Wifi throughout the structure.
- Hotel Vrindavan: The Hotel is conveniently located between the railway station and the town of Fatehpur Sikri, and offers modern facilities for staying. There is 24-hour room service and the staff are very hospitable. The rooms are hygienic and perfect for couples.
HOW TO REACH FATEHPUR SIKRI
Agra to Fatehpur sikri distance- 40 Km
Nearest Airport -The Kheria Airport (Agra Airport)
Nearest Railway Station Fatehpur Sikri Railway Station (FTS)- , about 300 metres away
Nearest Bus Stand The Idgah Bus Stand
What is the best time to visit Fatehpur Sikri?
BEST TIME TO VISIT FATEHPUR SIKRI
Even though Fatehpur Sikri is a year-round tourist destination, the best time to visit is from November to February. Since there is a lot of sightseeing and travel involved, it may be best to avoid the summer season altogether while visiting this place. November-February marks the onset of autumn to the end of winter and has a mild climate, with heat bearable even in the noon.