Dehradun is one of the largest cities and the winter capital of the northern state of Uttarakhand. The city is located in the most beautiful Doon valley along the foothills of the mighty Himalayas. Dehradun is full of breathtaking views and is a perfect location for both summer and winter trekkings. The city is bounded by the Song river on one side and the Yamuna on the other. The climate is mild and perfect for a calming retreat and vacation.
PLACES TO VISIT IN DEHRADUN
What is Dehradun famous for?
- Robber’s Cave: Known as Guchu Pani among the locals is one of the must-visit places while in Dehradun. The 600m long cave is preserved in its pristine state over the years and the ridges and the cuts in rocks are of historic and archaeological importance. There are waterfalls along the insides of the cave along with a river. The river seems to disappear while travelling further into the cave and appears again a few metres apart.
- Tiger Falls: One of Nature’s wonders, the Tiger Falls stands proudly in the forest of Chakrata, amidst the luscious greenery. The 312m waterfall is one of the highest in the country. There are trekking options through nature’s trails, and it is an enlightening experience for the visitors. The waterfall forms into a pond, which is a tourist hotspot for families and loved ones. The area also offers many recreational activities such as canoeing, rafting, etc.
- Tapovan: The magnificence of the River Ganges can be seen in Tapovan. Adding a heavenly touch with the amazing view of the Himalayas in the distance and the river flowing through the heart of luscious greenery is one of the best locations to relax, meditate and start your spiritual journey. The place also holds religious significance as the place of penance of Dronacharya. Trekking to the Tapovan temple and being immersed in the ambience and the divine aura filling the area is one of the must-do things while in the area.
BEST FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION IN DEHRADUN
- The Muse Restaurant: Originally a part of the Hotel Inderlok, the Muse is a renowned restaurant famous for its fine dining and gourmet art. The restaurant is run by professionals and the food served here is cooked to perfection. Offering a classy ambience, and family theme, the Muse is one of the best restaurants for a great time and even greater food.
- The Tavern: One of the most extravagant restaurants in the city, the Tavern is a restaurant cum bar. The restaurant features North Indian, Italian, Chinese, Thai and continental foods on its menu. The design and ambience of the place are out of the world. Live music, classy design, and mouth-watering food make up a treat for the senses.
- Hotel Ashrey: Located within a 1.5 km radius from the Clock Tower, Hotel Ashrey is at a convenient location for travellers in transit. The hotel offers an amazing restaurant with different cuisines, and private parking facilities, along with fitness centres. The staff are very hospitable and caters to our every need. The design is minimal, yet classy.
- Four Points by Sheraton Dehradun: One of the popular choices of tourists, both local and foreign, the Four Points hotel offers spacious rooms along with various amenities such as a multi-cuisine restaurant serving delicious food, a terrace, a bar, and free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. The hotel is near the Pacific Mall. The staff are very responsive and the rooms are well kept and clean.
HOW TO REACH DEHRADUN
The nearest airport to Dehradun is the Dehradun Airport, popularly known as Jolly Grant Airport. The domestic airport is 27 km away from the city centre. The nearest international airport is in New Delhi, one of the busiest airports in India, and is extensively connected to all major cities in and out of India.
The Dehradun railway station is the largest in the city and is part of the Northern Railways. The railway station has regular services such as the Dehradun Express, Varanasi Dehradun Express, Kochuveli Superfast Express.
What is the best time to visit Dehradun?
BEST TIME TO VISIT DEHRADUN
Dehradun can be visited any time of the year. But the prefered time to visit is March-June because it offers a mild climate in contrast to the rest of the states in the country. The weather is charming and the greenery just gets greener this time of the year making it a better choice for nature lovers.