Darjeeling is a beautiful city in West Bengal. It houses one of the largest mountains in India, the Kanchenjunga, and the world-famous Darjeeling Himalayan Railways, which is a renowned UNESCO world heritage site. The city has a rich history from the pre-Independence era, and the whole economy of this place continues from colonial time.
PLACES TO VISIT IN DARJEELING
What is Darjeeling famous for?
Darjeeling Himalayan Railways
- Darjeeling Himalayan Railways: This is one of the biggest tourist attractions of the area. The DHR is a 2-feet narrow gauge train track with a toy train that passes through the misty hillsides and luscious valleys. Rides in the toy train offer a gorgeous view of the city and take you along a soothing, calm ride amidst nature. Originally built in 1879, railways were declared a UNESCO world heritage site in 1999.
- Tiger Hill: Tiger hill is the most popular peak among many in this place. The hill offers amazing trekking routes and breathtaking views of Mt. Everest and Kanchenjunga. There are many old tea plantations along the way which stretch as far as the eye can see.
Darjeeling Rangit Valley Ropeway
- Darjeeling Rangit Valley Ropeway: The ropeway gives an exquisite view of the surrounding valley, the amazing landscapes, the luscious forests, and flora, the snow-covered mountains, etc. The ropeway gives a glimpse of the beauty of this place in its entirety. The ropeway is situated at 7000 feet and has around 16 cable cars in total.
BEST FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION
- Anant Hotel Zambala Retreat and Spa: The deluxe hotel is conveniently located near many tourist hotspots and is perfect for travellers in transit. The amenities are numerous and classy. The rooms are well-kept and spacious. The food served here is amazing, especially the breakfast.
- Sumi Yashshree Suites & Spa: Sumi Yashshree Suites & Spa is located near Tiger Hill and Japanese Peace Pagoda, and is conveniently located for travellers. The rooms are very spacious and clean, very well kept.
- Shangri-La Restaurant: This is simply one of the best restaurants in Darjeeling. The restaurant has a wooden floor and wooden decor. The ambience is quite nice, and the service is very nice and fast. The food served here is mouth-watering and features the local cuisine.
- Glenary’s Restaurant: One of the oldest restaurants in the city, the restaurant has a service history of over 100 years and a happy customer basis. The hotel offers an amazing view of the misty hillside, and the valleys and is simply one of the best views in the city. The food served here is amazing, with the service fast and responsive.
HOW TO REACH DARJEELING
Bagdogra Airport is the major airport in and near Guwahati. The airport is just 58 kilometres away from the city centre. The airport is well connected to all major cities in the country and some international destinations.
The Darjeeling Railway station is administered by the DHR. The nearest railway station is about 62 km away in New Jalpaiguri which connects to major cities like Kolkota and Delhi.
Which season is best for Darjeeling?
BEST TIME FOR VISIT
Summer is the best time for visiting here. April-June offers mild weather and a temperature of 25 degree Celsius. This time of the month adds a refreshing new colour and pleasantness to all the tourist spots and is one of the popular choices of the tourists.