Almora is a small town in the northern state of Uttarakhand. It is a cantonment town located along the edge of the Kumaon Hills of the majestic Himalayas. Almora is perfect for planning nature retreats and vacations from the hectic city life near the Himalayas and a small quiet town. The entire town’s ambience is calm, soothing, and filled with many scenic spots and amazing viewpoints.
PLACES TO VISIT IN ALMORA
Why is Almora famous?
- Martola: Martola is a place where the greenery of the thick forest and the snow-capped Himalayan ranges in the distance and the cloudy sky blend like in a beautiful painting. The area’s natural beauty is beyond words and is one of the best places in the area to plan your stay witnessing the beauty of Mother Nature.
- Deer Park: Situated in Narayan Tiwari Dewai, about Three kilometres from Almora, the Deer Park is the perfect location for animal enthusiasts. The Deer Park is home to several species like deer, leopard, Himalayan Black Bear, etc., and houses many plant species. The natural setting is also apt for leisurely walks and stroll.
Dhanaulti Adventure Park
- Dhanaulti Adventure Park: This is a perfect place to have a little adventure and a lot of fun. The Adventure Park offers a stunning view of the Himalayas and is filled with adrenaline-pumping activities such as zip-lining through the forest, mountain biking through the trails, trekking, outdoor camping, rappelling, etc. It also features the Snow Adventure Zone. The place is perfect for all age groups as there are many activities for each age group.
FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION
- Kasar Rainbow Restaurant: One of the best restaurants in the area, this is the popular choice of tourists, local and foreign alike. The restaurant serves mouth-watering Mexican, Lebanese, Italian and Indian food. The ambiance is very nice and calming. The service is very fast and responsive.
- Dolma Restaurant: Located near the Kasar Jungle Resort, the Dolma Restaurant is one of the nicest restaurants in Almora. The restaurant offers a spectacular view of the Himalayas. The restaurant features Indian, Chinese, and local cuisines, and the food served here is cooked to near perfection. The popular choices of tourists are Thukpa and steamed momos.
- Deodar Homestay: Deodar Homestay is a wonderful guesthouse situated in the heart of Almora. The amenities include a 24-hour front desk, an amazing restaurant, free WiFi, flat-screen TV, a garden, and much more. The owner is very helpful and hospitable and prepares mouth-watering food. The location is convenient and offers one of the best customer experiences in the area.
- Bloom: This cosy homestay is simple in design and offers modern amenities at an affordable price. The homestay has a garden for us to relax and also offers free private parking. Continental breakfast is provided for the guests.
HOW TO REACH ALMORA
The nearest domestic airport for Almora is in Pantnagar, about 115 km away from the town. There are taxi services from Pantnagar airport that can take you to Nainital from where you can board a bus to Almora.
Kathgodam is the nearest railway station to Almora. The railway station is well connected to major cities in India, like Lucknow, Kolkata, Delhi, etc.
What is the best time to visit Almora?
BEST TIME TO VISIT ALMORA
The best time to visit Almora is in the summer, from March-June. This time of the year experiences a pleasant climate in Almora and is perfect for sightseeing. You can also get a clear view of the Himalayas without the mist of the winter season. March-June is perfect for vacations and outdoor picnics.