Agra is an Indian city situated on the banks of the majestic Yamuna river in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh. This place has a rich history and culture and was once the capital of the Mughal Empire. One of the biggest industrial cities in India, this region is now an economic hub as well as a tourist hotspot of India.
PLACES TO VISIT IN AGRA
What is special in Agra?
- Taj Mahal: The name Taj Mahal is synonymous with Agra. One of the seven modern wonders of the world, the Taj Mahal stands graciously at the bank of river Yamuna. Taj Mahal is considered as the symbol of love everywhere in the world, due to its history. The mausoleum built in ivory-white marble is a UNESCO world heritage site and is one of the most visited places in the entire world. The design is one of the finest examples of Mughal architecture.
- Agra Fort: Built by the emperor Akbar The Great, this Fort is one of the most important remnants of the Mughal era. The fort served as the royal palace for the period of his reign in the 1600s. The fort is also a UNESCO world heritage site. There are many structures inside the fort that catches the eye.
- Fathepur Sikri: An historic city in Agra, Fatehpur Sikri is a tourist hotspot of the area. Fatehpur Sikri was built by Akbar and abandoned in 1610. The entire city is built with red sandstone and is an architectural marvel. This is a must-visit place while in here.
BEST FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION
- Dasaprakash: The local cuisine featured in this restaurant is just amazing. The thalis and the ice cream are popular choices of tourists, local and foreign alike. The ambience of the restaurant itself is very nice and friendly. The vegetarian dishes served here are cooked to perfection.
- Epshahan: The hotel is one of the finest Indian restaurants in Agra. The menu may be small but the food served is exquisite and is a must-try restaurant. The rice with Kerala shrimp curry is a popular choice for tourists.
- Radisson Hotel: The deluxe hotel is one of the finest here, The hotel boasts of an outdoor pool and an amazing restaurant serving mouth-watering food. There is free Wi-Fi available throughout the hotel and is just 2 kilometres away from the Taj Mahal.
- Crystal Sarovar Premiere: Located in Tajj Ganj district, the Crystal Sarovar is a 5-star hotel featuring clean rooms, all with a lovely view of the Taj Mahal. The food served here is amazing. The rooms are spacious and well-kept. The staff is just hospitable and responsive.
HOW TO REACH AGRA
Agra Airport is the major airport in and near Agra. The airport is 12.5 kilometres away from the city centre. The airport is well connected to all major cities in the country and some international destinations.
The nearest railway station is the nearest railway station and is one of the oldest in the country. The city is connected to all major cities and hosts several famous trains like the Palace on Wheels.
What is best time to visit Agra?
BEST TIME TO VISIT AGRA
Even though this place is a year-round tourist destination, the best time to visit is from November to February. The winter sees the temperature dropping to mild ranges and avoids major rainfalls and the scorching heat of the sun. This is the perfect time to take in the magnificence of the Taj Mahal in all its glory.